This year ANZAC Day falls during the upcoming Term 1 school holidays on Wednesday 25 April. It has become a tradition at Dominic College that all students are asked to represent the College at ceremonies at Glenorchy, Hobart, Lenah Valley, Pontville or New Norfolk. This is a day of national ritual and commemoration of sacrifice undertaken for our nation. It is a day during which large number of students, looking wonderful in their formal uniforms, participate in ANZAC Day marches and ceremonies.
As the years move on, it is important that as Australians we never forget the sacrifice that our soldiers, sailors, airmen and volunteers gave towards the future of our country. As young vibrant section of the community we have an obligation to provide a link between generations and ensure this sacred day in the Australian calendar is always honoured appropriately.
Our participation as a College is greatly valued by the broader communities
and in collaboration with the RSLs (Returned Services League) around Tasmania
we have arranged opportunities for our students to be part of this ritual of
remembrance at the following memorial events:
Glenorchy – Parade and Wreath Laying
• Assemble outside Glenorchy RSL at 10:15am
• Main Parade 10:30am
• Service 11:00am
Hobart – Main Parade & Wreath Laying
• Assembly for the Hobart ANZAC Day parade starts at 10:30am in Macquarie Street, and the Parade commences at 11:00am at the Town Hall, and proceeds to the Cenotaph on the Queen’s Domain.
Lenah Valley – Parade and Wreath Laying
• Assemble at RSL car park at 8:30am to move across to Lenah Valley Primary School at 8:40am
• March starts at 8:50am with service to follow
New Norfolk – Parade, Wreath Laying, Flag Bearers & Helpers
• Assemble at the bottom of High Street between 10:15-10:30am
• Main Parade 10:45am
• Service 11:00am
Pontville/Brighton – Lay a wreath
• 11:00am Service
• Assemble at Pontville Memorial Park (Corner Brighton & Ford Roads)
• Games/Activities & Picnic/BBQ after the service
This is a fantastic community opportunity and we ask for your support as we come together to pay tribute and remember our servicemen and women who sacrificed for the freedoms we now enjoy – Lest we Forget.
Students will accrue House points towards the College Mission Shield through their participation. On the Parent Paperwork notice sent hme there is a digital form for nominating your place at the ANZAC Day commemorations.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Andrew Pritchard - Director of Pastoral Care K-10