Code of Conduct for Volunteers
Dominic College welcomes, values and encourages the contribution of all members of the extended college community in volunteering their time and effort to support the many curricular and co-curricular activities and programs within the College.
To further assist the College in providing a safe and secure environment, volunteers are expected to comply with the following guidelines:
Put Safety First
- Observe safe work practices which avoid unnecessary risks;
- Only work according to their level of competency;
- Follow reasonable safety instructions given by supervisors;
- Report any safety hazard or hazardous practice they observe; and
- Assist & participate in evacuation procedures if required.
Have Respect for Others
Volunteers should treat students, staff and other members of the college community with respect and in particular should:
- Treat everyone with courtesy, sensitivity, tact, consideration and humility;
- Dress appropriately having regard to the nature of the volunteer activity;
- Assist in the creation of an environment free from fear, harassment, racism or exploitation;
- Respect the cultures, beliefs, opinions and decisions of others;
- Take reasonable instruction from staff and not obstruct staff in the execution of their duties; and
- Avoid waste or extravagance and make proper use of the resources of the college.
Volunteers should use appropriate communication skills when engaging with students, staff and other members of the college community and in particular should:
- Avoid swearing or other use of profanities;
- Use non-discriminatory respectful and non-judgmental language;
- Maintain appropriate levels of confidentiality;
- Be aware of people’s personal space;
- Be aware of their own body language; and
- Seek advice where appropriate.
Whilst volunteering, volunteers must not:
- Smoke or use tobacco products;
- Use, possess, or be under the influence of alcohol;
- Use, possess, or be under the influence of illicit drugs; or
- Utilise their position to take advantage of any young person.